John Keenan, dining critic for the Omaha World Herald, recently published his best dining experiences for 2006. An interesting read. Nothing really shocking on there, but I was a little surprised that Liberty Tavern was nowhere on the list. The list was heavily represented by V. Mertz, Paxton Chop House and Jack Binion's Steakhouse. I've only been to V. Mertz, but if the other two are comparable, then I'd be hard to find fault in the list. I would have also liked to have seen Sage get a special mention, at least for the experience aspect.
It's not entirely clear, but I think he also named a best of list that is linked in the upper right-hand corner. Whatever it is, I've posted it here.
- The French Cafe ~ A five-star experience
- Jack Binion's Steakhouse ~ No gamble with these dishes
- O Casual Dining ~ Inventive chef equals exciting menu
- Paxton Chop House ~ New presence in downtown fine dining
- The Tasting Room ~ Come for the wine, stay for the cuisine
- V. Mertz ~ Seemingly effortless elegance