8 oz. cooked pasta (shells)
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup Bechamel (see below)
1/4 cup Havarti cheese - grated
1/4 cup white cheddar - grated
5 ea. p&d shrimp (16/20 count)
1/2 oz. langostino meat
2 teaspoons truffle oil (preferably white)
1/5 cup chopped mushrooms
1 oz. caramelized onions
2 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. chopped shallot
1 oz. white wine
1 crab claw for garnish
shaved Grana Padano for garnish
1 green onion sliced razor thin and shocked for garnish
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp. canola or blended oil
* get a large saute pan hot with blended oil in it, medium heat. add the garlic and shallot and saute until lightly browned, then add the onion and mushroom.
* saute vegetables until 90% cooked, about 2 minutes and deglaze with white wine.
* return the pan to the heat and reduce the wine - 2 minutes. Add your bechamel and cream. Allow the bechamel and cream at least 2 minutes to combine and slightly thicken.
* add your shrimp and langostino meat to the Bechamel, continue to simmer 2 minutes.
* add both Havarti and white cheddar to the pan and toss to combine and melt
* add the noodles, truffle oil and s&p, toss to combine.
* taste and adjust seasoning
** to plate - pour the pasta into a bowl. stab the meat end of the claw into the pasta and garnish with grana and prepared green onions.
For the Béchamel Sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk (1%)
1 oz. butter
1 oz. flour
1 tsp. of each of the following:
1 oz. white wine
1 tsp. olive or canola oil
*in a small pan, melt the butter and add the flour. whisk to combine until a pale yellow consistency forms. Set this pan aside.
*in a sauce pot, sautee all remaining dry ingredients in oil over medium heat
*when fragrant - about 2 minutes, deglaze with white wine
*after wine has reduced, add cream and milk and bring just to a simmer
*simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
*vigorously whisk in roux and simmer an additional 5 minutes until thickened
*pass bechamel through a fine mesh strainer while still hot
yield: 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup
Thanks to Paul for sharing this recipe. If you make it, share your pictures with us and we'll post them here.
7 Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipes From the 2008 Tilamook Contest Winners